Making an app popular has 2 ingredients – first 50% is making a superb app that has attributes of going viral, and the remaining 50% is ad discovery, marketing, and promotion. Assuming the first 50% is right, please find below a checklist for getting your app discovered.
Early Research / Early Market Sensors / Refine the feature list
- Showcase your first cut app with small numbers of identified target audience (>100)
- Create a list of blogger / review sites where you wish to showcase your app and get good review comments. For now, develop rapport with them – you will need to collaborate with them later
- Start creating buzz on your Social Media regarding expected launch date, etc.
Get external people to test, and get early adopters
- Get target audience to test and give feedback on idea, feature-lists, navigability, app size, etc. ‘Wow factor’,
- Evolve a cool name for the app and icon, and keep promotional material (creative screenshots, initial reviews, etc.) light and right
- Get initial adopters from targeted communities
- Increase buzz on SM – highlight new features, Get opinion leaders to influence, upload good screenshots of the app, create a video of the app and upload
- Find the right AppStores and the right place within the stores to place your app
First Level Audience Engagement
- Start engaging with app site reviewers, bloggers
- Examples of app site reviewers – http://spacechimpmedia.com/the-ultimate-list-of-app-review-websites/
- Bloggers – e.g. https://www.apps-world.net/blog/
- Social Media – Channelize your app into Own circles / communities and encourage download / usage. Make viral
- Go for paid SCM depending on budget
- Play with App discovery tools e.g. Appsfire, Appflood, etc.
- Care for and spend time around App Search Optimization – a separate topic in itself