The boom in technological advancements of the digital age has pushed the frontiers for Big Data. As there is a huge amount of data floating around, open source data processing platforms like Hadoop have become crucial in streamlining the enormous amount of data. Hadoop has become one of the hottest technologies for growing companies and smart cities worldwide. This rise in demand has naturally led to the need for more Hadoop administrators who are integral in the Hadoop implementation process.
According to McKinsey Global Institute study, there’s a scarcity of about 190,000 data scientists and 1.5 million managers and analysts in the US who can understand and make key decisions using Big Data this year. Thus, skilled professionals in Hadoop have an ocean of opportunities awaiting them. In this article, you will get a fair idea of one of the primary roles associated with Big Data: being a Hadoop administrator.
Free Step-by-step Guide To Become A Data Scientist
Subscribe and get this detailed guide absolutely FREE
Who is A Hadoop Administrator?
Hadoop Administrator is a customer-facing role. The main job of an administrator is to formulate and lead the architecture, development, and engineering of big data solutions. They are also involved in the installation of the Hadoop cluster for a company without any loopholes. In case any error occurs in the cluster, the administrator oversees and fixes the problem.
Skills Required To Become A Hadoop Administrator:
Most organizations are looking for a candidate who is technically sound, have good communication skills with teamwork abilities. Below are the significant skills that can help you become a Hadoop Administrator:
- Good troubleshooting skills and general operational expertise.
- Thorough knowledge of Hadoop.
- They should be able to deploy Hadoop cluster, monitor jobs and critical parts of the cluster. They should also be able to add or remove nodes and take backups.
- Well-versed in Java and Linux
- Familiarity with open source configuration management and deployment tools.
- A Basic idea of Java
- Sound knowledge Unix based File System
- Knowledge of networking
Roles And Responsibilities Of A Hadoop Administrator
Organizations that hire Hadoop administrators have clear-cut expectations from them. According to the ‘Peer Research – Big Data Analytics’ survey conducted by Intel’s IT center, among several companies, Big Data Analytics is one of the top priorities for 77% of the organizations.
In fact, about 45% of the surveyed believe that professionals trained in Big Data can help derive precise business insights and more than 60% of the respondents are depending on individuals who are trained in Hadoop. Here are the key roles and responsibilities of a Hadoop administrator:
- Keeping track of the Hadoop jobs.
- Maintaining the entire Hadoop infrastructure and HDFS storage data.
- Responsible for allocating and adjusting the capacity of Hadoop cluster for storage purpose.
- Debugging Hadoop application.
Steps To Become A Hadoop Administrator
To stay ahead of the game, you should acquire the necessary skills by enrolling in a reputed Hadoop Administration training program. On completion of a Hadoop Admin course, you will be able to:
- Understand the fundamentals and characteristics of Big Data and use those to help organizations manage Big Data.
- Work with Hadoop clients, and web interfaces.
- Use cluster planning and tools for data entry into Hadoop clusters.
- Utilize Hadoop components within Hadoop ecosystem.
- Understand security implementation to secure data and clusters.
For those from non-technical and technical backgrounds, Acadgild offers specific Hadoop online training courses that are guaranteed to satisfy your quest for learning while thrusting your career upwards.
Who Can Become a Hadoop Administrator?
Anybody with a basic understanding of computation, programming languages and statistics can become a Hadoop administrator. However, students who enroll for most Hadoop administrator courses are usually systems administrators, IT managers, IT systems engineers, data engineers, database administrators, data analytics administrators, cloud systems administrators and web engineers.
Job Titles Similar To A ‘Hadoop Administrator’:
Besides the usual ‘Hadoop Administrator’ job title, there are other designations that have the similar duties as that of a Hadoop administrator. They are as follows:
- Hadoop Cluster Admin
- IT Systems Engineer
- Hadoop Engineer.
- Hadoop System Admin
- Data Engineer
- IT Hadoop Administrator
- Data Analytics Administrator
- Cloud Systems Administrator
- Web Engineer.
- Hadoop Architect
Current Job Trends For Hadoop Administrator In India
According to popular job portals like Naukri, there are about 20,000 job opportunities for Hadoop administrators in the country.
This should be considered as one more reason for you to enroll yourself in a Hadoop administration course so that your career can go places.